1. Home
  2. /
  3. Business
  4. /
  5. How to Sell Products...

How to Sell Products in the EU: 5 Essential Accurate Financial Tips You Need to Know

Dec 18, 2022 | E-Commerce, Business

5 Essential Financial Tips That Can Help You in Selling Products in the EU

Knowing how to sell products in the EU is a big help if you are a business owner. VAT is not applied at the border on goods traded with the EU. Whether the recipient of the product is registered for VAT in the country of arrival has a significant impact on how VAT is subtracted from these inputs.

Consignments in Northern Ireland and EU member states that are part of the same legal entity (often referred to as own shipments) are considered inventory for this purpose.

Gas and electricity, as well as heating and cooling, are subject to specific regulations. If you want to start up your business or sell your goods and services in the EU, you need to attain a handsome knowledge of their rule and regulations for selling goods.  

How to Sell Products in the EU: EU products rules and regulations 

There may be minor alterations, but the fundamental guidelines remain the same. You should get in touch with the appropriate VAT authorities if you want to look into the situation in Northern Ireland or another EU nation.

If you have to sell a different product, make sure that those products do not harm any individual or the risk related to the items that organisations supply is typically disclosed to the consumers.

For VAT reasons, the supplier sends the items to the client for depreciation by the customer. This supply should be seen as a justification for the transaction.

This indicates that the product is delivered by the supplier in the nation of origin. In contrast, the consumer purchases the goods in the destination country to avoid paying VAT.

Returned goods

Without triggering a purchase of own goods by the supplier under the 12-month rule or the relevant events rule, the call-off stock may be returned to the state of origin by the provider.

It depends on various factors like:

  • The product is returned to the country of origin by or under the supplier’s control within 12 months of arrival in the land of the destination
  • Update the call list accordingly
  • There is no need to return the product to the supplier as the product may have been sold to another party in the country of origin.

Goods sent on sale or approval or returned or similar terms

These are products that will not be delivered until customer approval is obtained. Adoption happens when a customer describes his plans to keep the product.

Until then, customers have an unparalleled right to return products at any time unless an agreed deadline automatically accompanies an approved product.

  • If you are sending anything, you are buying it in the EU nation it is going to. You will sell these goods in EU member states if your customers ultimately approve of them. In order to calculate VAT on purchases and delivery, you might need to register there.
  • If you are shipping from an EU country to Northern Ireland for sale, return, acceptance, or similar terms, treat it as your own.

Exemption threshold 

Some products and services, which include health care, education, and financial services, may be exempt from VAT.

VAT does not apply to these sales; therefore, there is no “right to deduct.” This indicates that the VAT paid on purchases connected to such transactions cannot be deducted.

You may not need to register for VAT if all or the majority of your taxable purchases or items are non-existent; this situation is known as an exemption from registration.

When you have to register for VAT – how to work it out

In certain cases, you produce taxable inputs in the UK; it is your responsibility to note if:

  • Your taxable goods’ worth in the previous 12 months or less exceeds the registration limit at any time at the end of the month.
  • You anticipate your taxable inventory will at any moment be worth more than the registration cap for the upcoming 30 days only.

Examples of Exempt supplies

For example,

  • Sales, leases, and lease agreements for certain lands and buildings (but not rent for garages, car parks or hotels and holiday accommodation
  • Apply for an insurance
  • Betting, gambling, and lotteries
  • provide credit
  • some training and education
  • Charity collection
  • Subscriptions to specific affiliates

Tips you need to know 

  • If you want to apply for a registration exemption yet some of your items are subject to VAT, you must be able to convince us that, if you register, your input tax will typically be higher than your output tax. Value-added tax, or income tax, is levied on the products and services you buy for your company. A value-added tax on your account for taxable goods is called an excise tax.
  • You won’t be able to claim the input tax you paid on purchases of goods or services for your company if the authority exempts you from listing. If your situation changes, including the type of inventory you give, you must let us know. This is due to the possibility that your right to an exemption has expired.
  • If the value of your distance sales has above the threshold and you are required to register, you must notify HMRC within 30 days of the date this occurred.
  • Your registration date will be the day your sales exceeded the threshold if you need to register because your distance sales for the entire year or a portion starting on January 1 exceeded the distance sales level. 

Where does your reporting obligation start?

The person who sold the business to you is liable for keeping financial records through the selling date.

However, they must give you all the details you want in order to fulfil your VAT requirements. You must gather the facts required to satisfy your VAT duties if the seller asks HMRC for permission to preserve records.

Which trade flow must be reported? 

All businesses operating by the Northern Ireland Protocol must submit a VAT return on all gross sales and purchases.

Companies who go beyond the legal limit must additionally supply extra information in the supplemental reports produced by Intrastat. Statistics on trade inside the EU are created using supplementary declarations and projections based on data from VAT return forms details on the most recent Intrastat thresholds.

What data to report 

Even if distance sales from Northern Ireland are below the distance selling limit when they arrive in an EU member state, if you are conducting business using the Intrastat threshold, you must report all distance sales other than taxpayers in your Intrastat supplementary return.

Your distance selling to EU members must be registered individually. Consequently, you may keep an eye on your duties to register for VAT on international sales in the EU or the OSS-receiving country.

Frequently asked questions

  • What are the basic steps to register for VAT in an EU member state?

    The registration requirements in each EU member state vary. If you’re required to register for VAT in an EU member state, you must notify the appropriate VAT authority. You’re responsible for ensuring that you register at the correct time and that your account for the tax to the proper VAT authority. Alternatively, you can register for the OSS. 

  • What are the best-selling products in Europe? 

    You have many options to choose products according to your feasibility and important outcomes as per the requirement of the locals. A list of some best-selling products are:
    – Electronics items 
    – Food, Cosmetics, and Pharmaceuticals
    – Clothing and Footwear
    – Books
    – Furniture and Home appliance

  • How to handle VAT in Europe?

    Hire the best VAT adviser because he may know the financial management process better than you. As soon as you decide you want to sell in Europe.


In order to complete all business-related obligations, you must take the necessary registration steps at the appropriate time.

Although the European online retail market is expanding daily, you may quickly expand your company by selling your desired products in the EU.

The tips mentioned above will be helpful to you if you follow all the necessary steps when selling products in the EU. Before making supplies for an EU consumer, you should conduct standard commercial checks, including bank and trade creditworthiness references. 

For further details and services, visit our website Sterlinx Global. We will be pleased to assist you! 

Hire Us for Accounting?

Why not save time and hire us to do your books in the UK or globally?

Share This